Common Pitfalls When Filing a Qui Tam Case
Like any lawsuit, a qui tam case is filled with challenges and potential obstacles. You need to ensure that the case is in experienced hands.
If you believe that your employer is over-billing the government, contact New York qui tam lawyer James T. Ratner today by calling (845) 750-3293 or by completing the form on this page to schedule a free consultation.
Here are a few of the common pitfalls to avoid:Pitfall #1: Choosing Inexperienced Counsel
- Find a lawyer with qui tam experience. The False Claims Act is a particularly complex law, and an inexperienced attorney wouldn't know a good case from one not worth pursuing.
- Check the attorney’s record of success. Naturally, you want someone who has a successful record with qui tam lawsuits. Find out how well your lawyer has benefited clients in the past.
- Choose an attorney you can trust. Don’t base your decision on slick marketing. Pick up the phone and schedule a consultation with your prospective attorney and make sure he or she intends to devote the necessary time and resources your lawsuit deserves once the case has been filed.
- Qui tam lawsuits are filed under seal. Information about your case is not to be discussed with anyone but your lawyer.
- Public discussion can harm your case. This includes mentioning details on social networks such as Facebook, Twitter or blogs.
Pitfall #3: Not Acting Soon Enough
- Be the first to file. If your qui tam lawsuit is not the first one filed regarding specific allegations, it will likely be dismissed.
- Time can run out. Generally, a qui tam lawsuit must be filed within six years of the date the fraud is committed.
- Blowing the whistle on fraud can be long, difficult process, but if your case is successful, the financial and personal rewards can be substantial. If you would like an experienced attorney to review your claim, please contact New York qui tam lawyer James T. Ratner today by completing the form on this page or by calling (845) 750-3293 or to schedule your free consultation.